Thursday, April 13, 2017

Mrs. Devert - Using Gauge in the Classroom



Thank you Katey Devert for sharing your Gauge work with us!  Please comment, share, and ask questions by commenting below.   You can now click on reactions (cool, interesting) at the bottom of the post!

Printable 4th Grade Standard Reflection Sheet

Some questions to ponder and respond to in the comment section:
  1. What do you want to make sure to remember about the video?
  2. What might you want to try in your classroom?
  3. Did it reaffirm any of your practices?
  4. If this is similar to your structure, do you have anything to add?
  5. Are there pieces you would like to see more in depth?
  6. What questions do you have for the teacher?

Observation Norms for the Blog:
  • ·         Take a learning stance. We are not here to compare/compete/judge.
  • ·          Maintain a positive attitude and respect for the teacher.
  • ·         Ask questions and share ideas.
  • ·         Remember, anything you post will be seen by all.

11 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. What a great way to also incorporate self-assessment/tracking. Where did the tracking sheet come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question. I made the tracking sheet by using the state standards. I reworded some of the standards to be more kid friendly.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the tracking sheet. Printed it already and starting to use it today. Love the video and looking forward to using this with my math instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I also use Gauge as a practice/feedback tool rather than just summative assessment so that was reaffirming. However, I always had students work independently so the cooperative structure is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I love the teamwork aspect and good ideas for incorporating some Kagan Structures. I haven't opened the tracking sheet yet, but am interested to find out what that looks like too. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this use of Gauge! I love the cooperative learning and instant feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea. Thank you for sharing. Do you have them complete all 20 questions in one block or do you split the questions into two different blocks? Thanks for sharing. Tamara Campbell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question. We focus on getting correct however many they finish. I don't require them to finish. I want them to know that I value their thinking and understanding rather than doing x number of problems. If I require a certain number I think that shows the students I value work completion and correct answers...which leads to copying...This is also kind of Kagan like in that when most people are done we move on.

      Delete
  7. My students absolutely loved this way of learning!
    A few tips: I had to reduce the screen size to about 67%, so my entire class would show on the overhead. I also set a timer for 3 minutes. When the timer went off, I would refresh the screen so students could see their updated scores. It was such a fun lesson.

    ReplyDelete